American Printing House for the Blind
1839 Frankfort Avenue
Louisville Kentucky 1 40206-0085
(502) 895 2405
Under the Federal Act to Promote the Education of the Blind of 1879, APH is the official supplier of educational materials for visually impaired students working at less than college level in the United States and its Outlying Areas. Funds appropriated under the Act are used by each state to purchase educational materials from APH.
APH also offers a variety of materials for sale to individuals. APH maintains the Tactile Graphics Image Library database; and the LOUIS Database, a listing of publications in accessible formats from a number of agencies; and the Accessible Media Producers database, a listing of volunteers and agencies who publish materials in an accessible format.
The Museum of the American Printing House for the Blind features a history of APH and the development of educational materials for people who are visually impaired. APH sponsors National Instructional Partnerships, a series of workshops held across the United States. Additionally, the field's Hall of Fame: Leaders and Legends of the Blindness Field is housed at APH.
Connect Center, email@example.com
- Assistive Products
- Sells various materials in alternative formats, low vision items, writing tools, gifts. Products for sale on site and online as well as through several specialized catalogs.
- Braille/Electronic/Audio/Large Print Production
- Educational textbooks, software, and other materials for blind or visually impaired students of less than college level. General interest magazines for children and adults. Custom media including menus, maps, signage, books, magazines and other. Computer files, tactile graphics.
- Consultation/Technical Program Assistance
- Operates Advisory Services Division to provide informational, consultative, and administrative services in support of Federal Quota System under which materials in alternate formats for blind are purchased. Provides referral services and technical support for instructional and technological questions. The LOUIS database and Accessible Media Producers database provide information about alternate sources for accessible materials. The Fred's Head database offers tips on a variety of topics for persons who are blind and visually impaired.
- Professional Training
- Has personnel available to conduct training sessions, presentations, and workshops in availability, teaching methodology, and prescriptive use of specially designed materials. Cosponsering with local agencies, APH offers National Instructional Partnerships on current educational topics.
- Services for Seniors
- Offers services for seniors.