One of the many reasons I am excited it’s Fall is because it’s time to make my favorite recipes! Pumpkin Spice Playdoh smells soo yummy and is a blast of sensory experiences…remember as you are creating it with your child/family, it is the process not the product that’s important. Here are some helpful tips:
- Have your child experience dry/wet ingredients using descriptive words such as soft flour, warm wet water, gritty salt, slippery for the oil.
- Smell the pumpkin spice and compare to the smell of flour or water.
- Discuss the changes when the wet and dry ingredients mix.
- If your child is small or has a motor impairment, have them mix a small amount of dough.
- Play poking and pulling, rolling and patting games with the finished playdough.
- Roll into a ball that looks like a pumpkin and compare to a real one.
- Make smaller and bigger balls and discuss the attributes.
- Talk about color: what other things are orange? Even if your child is totally blind it is important to discuss color so they can appropriately file it.
- And most importantly have fun!
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Playdough Recipe
- 2 cups plain flour (all purpose)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup salt
- Pumpkin spice seasoning dash to your desire
- Up to 1.5 cups warm water (adding in increments until it feels just right)
- Orange food colouring
- Mix the flour, salt, pumpkin spice seasoning, and oil in a large mixing bowl
- Add food colouring TO the warm water then into the dry ingredients
- Stir continuously until it becomes a sticky, combined dough
- Take it out of the bowl and knead it vigorously for a couple of minutes until all of the stickiness has gone. * This is the most important part of the process, so keep at it until it’s the perfect consistency!*
- (If it remains a little sticky then add a touch more flour until just right)