Reading is an important skill for lifelong learning and entertainment. Friday (March 1, 2013) is Read Across America Day, an annual event sponsored by the National Education Association (NEA). We are including several links for you to learn more about how you can be involved.
- Grab a book and read with your children or encourage them to read to you! Help them to learn this wonderful leisure skill. Here are some key FamilyConnect articles on supporting reading for all ages
- If you have a great picture of your child reading, we’d love it if you shared it with us on FamilyConnect’s Facebook page.
- FamilyConnect’s Directory of Services lists agencies and organizations that offer braille and reading instruction
- You can also use this tool to find libraries and alternate media producers that provide books in accessible formats
- The NEA offers suggestions for how to celebrate Read Across America Day
- The official Read Across America site
- Sensory Sun offers a chance to win braille books in a contest celebrating Read Across America Day
- BookShare Members Join Read Across America Day
We’d love to hear what you’re doing to celebrate reading. Let us know by commenting below, or on FamilyConnect’s Facebook page.